Thursday 25 September 2014

Sending love

Postcards to send love

As a designer I'm a huge fan of stationary and good quality illustration. When I was traveling earlier this year I decided it was the perfect time to send letters or postcards to people I love.

Whenever I saw a stationary store or a wall of postcards inside a museum store I stopped for about 30 minutes to find the perfect postcard -traveling alone was great for postcard scouting, because not everyone likes to stay that much time in that particular activity-.


The perfect postcard for me was one with a good and/or clever illustration that showed something about the city or country that I was visiting. Sometimes when I felt sentimental or I found a clever -non cheesy- postcard that reflected my feelings I bought it as well, but I prefer illustrations better.

The big task was to find a post office to buy a stamp and to figure out how to write the address of the recipient. Yes, the address thing is something that I had to learn. 

For example; to write a letter to Chile goes like this:

Señor(a), Señorita -whatever- Name of the recipient
Street, number, apt.
Zip code, suburb, district
City, CHILE

For England;

Sr, Miss, Mrs -whatever- Name of the recipient
number, street
city, UK
zip code
ENGLAND

For Australia;

Sr, Miss, Mrs -whatever- Name of the recipient
unit/street number, street name
suburb, zip code
area, city
AUSTRALIA

So I encourage you to send postcards whenever you're traveling, because we will always have emails, whatsapp, kik, snapchat, instagram, facebook -you name it- to send a message or share a photo but an analogue message sometimes makes the difference.

And of course whenever you're traveling money really counts but there's always a little saved to send love. 

XX
Carolina.