Wednesday 3 December 2014

Travel Diaries: Barcelona Day One

This past June I visited Spain for the first time and I have to say I pretty much fell in love with this country. We visited Barcelona, Córdoba, Sevilla, Madrid and Toledo in 10 days.

B A R C E L O N A
We arrived from Rome on the night of the 14th because our flight was delayed. When you have your whole trip planned and booked this delays really make you loose time. I was traveling with my mom and she wanted to book everything in advance because June is high season.

Anyways, we decided to get up really early on the 15th so we could make the most of the day. 

We were staying next to Lesseps station so it was walking distance to the center of the city. At 8:15 we were on the entrance of Parc Guell with the app downloaded into my tablet (they open at 8:30 so we wanted to be the first people there). Gaudí for me is a genius with no precedent and I have admired his work since I was 19.

My beautiful mom.



The terrace full of mosaics!

Waking up early really pays off. We where there for an hour before a tour bus of 40 people came followed by a multitude. I recommend to visit this place really early in the morning.

After this great place we ate a croissant full of chocolate and peaches to fill us up with energy to walk towards the great avenue Passeig de Gracia to get to La Pedrera or Casa Milà which was covered because of renovation work so we couldn't see it from the outside but we climbed to the roof for a walk and a little architecture lesson. At this point my mom thought Gaudí was a crazy man because of his alien head pipes.
Pipes all over the roof.
My favorite mosaic pipes. They look like Star Wars movie helmets.

Alien head pipes.
We stopped across the street at Le Pain Quotidien for lunch and lemonade.

We kept on walking and got to the Casa Batlló where I enjoyed so much walking around and listening to the audioguide. I don't know if the entrance ticket comes with the audioguide but I recommend to pay for it if you can. It explains many interesting things about history, architecture and context in which the house was built.

 Swirls everywhere.
This was our first day in Barcelona, I wanted to upload so much more pictures but I'm afraid if you have a slow internet connection it will be really hard for you to open this post.

Next on Barcelona: Day two I'll do a review about La Sagrada Familia!

XX
Carolina.