Thursday 6 November 2014

Window Seat Paintings


Is not that I’m scared of flying but many times when I’m in the air I can’t avoid thinking what would happen if my plane crashes. I think about the moments before touching ground or water. Would I feel calm? Would I cry? Would I pray? Oh shit. 

The moment that I love the most about flying is when I’m up up up in the air, and I have a love-hate relationship with taking off and landing.

What I love of taking off and landing: is when I can see houses, highways, water, fields and pools like a tiny lego village. Cool stuff.

What I hate of taking off and landing: is that -if we crash- the fall would be so short and I wouldn’t have time to think or say mental goodbye.

That’s why the work of Jim Darling is so refreshing to me. He paints what you can see from the window of your plane but in such palette that I can breathe relaxed and not feel the anxiety of what would happen next.


That picture that you always take blurry because the window is so dirty is perfect in his art